Trying to look our best can get expensive. That is why I’m such a fan of frugal beauty hacks and money saving tips. I love trying the latest beauty trends and products but my wallet doesn’t like it as much! There are some items that I love and I won’t skimp on but I try to save in other areas so that I can afford the higher end products by using these frugal beauty tips.
I’ve come up with a list of frugal beauty hacks that will save you time and money. Don’t we all want that? Don’t worry, you will still look fabulous but you will just have more money in your bank account! I’ve included some affiliate links in this post.
Replace beauty items with other products
- If you run out of eyebrow gel, just use a swipe of Vaseline to keep your unruly hairs in place.
- Use hair conditioner in place of shaving cream if you ever run out.
- Liquid concealer makes a great eye primer and really brightens your eyes.
- If you are looking for a replacement for your lip scrub, just use a toothbrush to gently exfoliate your lips.
- If you run out of blush, just use a dab of pink or red lipstick and blend. You won’t be able to tell the difference.
- Johnson’s Baby shampoo can be used as a eyemakeup remover
- Coconut Oil can be used as makeup remover
- Instead of buying fake lashes, apply a coat of mascara. Apply baby powder using a Qtip, and then another coat of mascara. This will give you a fake lash affect.
- Use a light colored eyeshadow as a highlighter.
- Make your own custom lipstick by mixing your choice of eyeshadow crumbles with some Vaseline.
- You can also make your own nail polish shade by mixing eyeshadow with some clear topcoat.
Make your beauty products last longer
- To get the last of any remaining liquid makeup, put the container in a cup of hot water. This will make the product melt so you can pour it into a shallow container to use up all of the product.
- If your mascara has dried out, add 10 drops of contact solution, shake, and swirl with the wand. It will be as good as new.
- You can store foundation, lipstick, eyeliner and any oil based product in the fridge so it will last longer and won’t turn rancid.
- If you break your powder or eyeshadow compact don’t freak out! Add a couple drops of rubbing alcohol and mix the broken pieces together. The powder will come together and look as good as new.
- To make your razors last longer, shake them dry after each use and let them soak in some baby oil. This will keep them sharper longer.
- Fix a broken lipstick by melting the bottom of the broken piece with a lighter and then set it right back on top of the other piece. Smooth the seam with your finger.
- Wrap a rubberband around your nail to get a perfect line for a french tip manicure
- Rub Vaseline around your cuticles for a mess free manicure. You simply wipe off any polish that misses your nail.
- Don’t shake your nail polish bottle, this is what causes bubbles to form. Simply rub it back and forth in your hand to mix it.
- Use whiteout to touch up french tips so you don’t have to go back to the salon.
- To really make your color bright, use a white nail polish as a basecoat and then use your normal shade. It will really make the color pop.
- If your favorite nail polish is all hard or goopy, just add a few drops of nail polish thinner.
- Spray your polished nails with PAM cooking spray to make them dry fast.
- Easily remove staining on your nails by mixing 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide with 2 ½ tablespoons of baking soda.
- Check out this full list of money saving mani/pedi tips.
- Make your own makeup remover towelettes with this recipe.
- You can make your own lip scrub with this recipe.
- Stop wasting money on makeup brush cleanser when you can make your own.
- You can even make your own natural bronzer.
- If you don’t own a curling iron, you can flat iron your loose braids to get wavy look.
- To cover up gray roots, use a drugstore brand hair color for touch ups. They only cost about $8 and they will stretch out your visits to the salon.
- Get rid of flyaways by spritzing an old (and clean) mascara wand with hairspray and then combing them away.
- Make an apple-cider vinegar hair rinse instead of buying pricy clarifying shampoo.
- Don’t wash your hair everyday. Not only will this save money on hair products but it is healthier for your hair.
- Sleeping with your hair in a topknot will give your more volume.
- Apply coconut oil to the ends of your hair. This can prevent brittle strands and keep split ends at bay.
- Before buying high end products, check for cheaper dupes. You can find some great .
- Also look for dupes for beauty tools. Instead of a Beauty Blender ($20) get the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge ($8).
- Learn how to save the most at stores like ULTA and Sephora.
- Don’t be afraid to return products that don’t work for you. Most beauty and drugstores will take back gently used beauty products, including makeup. This way you don’t have to worry about buyer’s remorse.
- Don’t forget to ask for samples of makeup or fragrance at beauty or department stores. It’s always good to try a product before making an investment to make sure that you won’t get tired of it.
- You usually use a few colors all the time in certain palettes. Some brands like MAC and Stila offer the individual colors that you can buy instead of having to purchase a whole new palette.
- Some companies, like MAC, will give you free makeup products when you bring in your old containers for recycling.
I think these are the frugal beauty hacks that every busy woman needs to know. If you have any other tips, let us know and I’ll add them to the list!
Leave a Reply