Did you know that one in eight Americans struggles with hunger? That number breaks my heart! I am so thankful for the local food banks and all that they do for our communities. Without them, so many people would go hungry every single day, including children.
“This post is brought to you by Walmart and The Motherhood. All opinions are my own.”
I was able to visit The Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina to see how they are making a huge impact in our community. I had no idea the vast amount of people and organizations that they help every single day. The food bank is located in Charlotte, NC but it helps over 19 different counties!
They were having a volunteer event with employees from Walmart and some local adult homes for developmentally challenged individuals. It was so heartwarming to see everyone doing what they can to help give back to the community by just donating their time.
The food bank is always in need of volunteers to help. They need people to help stock the shelves, pack backpacks with food and supplies for children, do office work, etc. This helps them save money on hiring full time employees so that they can use that money to acquire more food and supplies for those in need.
When I was there, the volunteers were sorting and stocking a huge shipment of paper goods from Walmart. Apparently, Walmart donates a huge amount of non-food items from their return centers. Everything from diapers to personal hygiene products to home goods. They even donate pet supplies!
There was an entire section of the warehouse called “the Walmart aisle” where all of these items are stocked. It was incredible how many items there were!
Walmart is committed to helping fight hunger. They are actually launching a campaign called, “Fight Hunger. Spark Change” to get suppliers and customers involved in helping to fight hunger.
I am so excited about this because they make it so easy for you to get involved and help those in need. Even if you can’t afford to make a donation, you can still make an impact!
Walmart will be making an initial donation of $1.5 million to Feeding America. With your help, they aim to make a total donation of $3 million! Here is what you can do:
Every time you show support online by using the hashtag #FightHunger, Walmart will make a donation to Feeding America. If you are on social media, you can help!
- Facebook – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or react positively to campaign content; click on Walmart-provided campaign content.
- Instagram – create or share content using the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; like or share Walmart-generated campaign content.
- Snapchat – Use Walmart provided Fight Hunger. Spark Change. filters nationwide on April 21.
- Twitter – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or make a campaign tweet a favorite; retweet a message featuring the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; click on Walmart-provided campaign content.
Make a Purchase
When you make a purchase of select products at Walmart or Walmart.com, the supplier will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) on behalf of a Feeding America member food bank. The participating suppliers are:
- Campbell Soup Company
- General Mills
- Kellogg Company
- the Kraft Heinz Company
Every time you make a purchase with your Discover card, Discover will also donate the equivalent of one meal.
Make a Donation
You can also make a monetary donation at any Walmart register. Just let them know that you would like to donate to the Feeding America fund and you can make any size donation that you would like.
By getting involved, you can help Walmart reach their goal of helping Feeding America secure 100 million meals on behalf of it’s member food banks!
This is a great way to be able to help food banks nationwide but I know that you may also want to get involved with your local food bank.
I asked them what you can do to help and these are some easy ways that you can make an impact:
- Volunteer your time: go to their website to see how you can sign up.
- Donate extra produce from your garden
- Donate money: food banks have special relationships with suppliers so they can really stretch the money and get more meals out of it than you and I may be able to.
- Donate the extra freebies you get from couponing.
- They are always in major need of: fresh produce, fresh meat, diapers, and hygiene products.
All of these are very simple ways for you to really help someone who is struggling with hunger. Go right now and like or comment with the hashtag #FightHunger to get started. It really is the easiest way to help your local food bank!
Leave a Reply