You know I love an easy dinner recipe. This French Onion Chicken and Rice Casserole is no exception. It is so easy to make and I already had all of the ingredients in my kitchen.
I love making casseroles because you can just throw everything together and have a full meal in no time at all.
This post contains affiliate links.
I found this recipe for french onion chicken and rice casserole when I was scrolling on Pinterest. It’s where I get most of my recipe ideas.
I had to make a few small adjustments because I didn’t have some of the ingredients on hand. I think it turned out great and the flavor is wonderful.
If you like a lot of spice in your food, you may think that this is a little bland but you can easily add extra spices to this dish and even season your chicken before you add it to the casserole for some more flavor.
My fiance and I both loved this meal and it will be made again in my house. It is great for busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to slave over the stove.
I will say that you need to make sure that when you cover the dish in aluminum foil, you cover it very tightly. This will keep all of the steam in the dish so that the rice cooks through.
If you find that your rice is still a little crunchy, let it sit covered for another 15 minutes once you take it out of the oven so that the rice can continue to steam and get cooked.
I didn’t have to let mine sit, it was perfectly done, but I know that ovens cook differently so I just wanted to make you aware of that.
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 lb. of uncooked chicken tenders
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 10 oz cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 packet of onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese ( or your cheese of choice)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish or a 1.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the rice, cream of chicken soup, milk, and onion soup mix together until combined.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish.
- Nestle the chicken tenders on top of the soup mixture and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring the rice half way through.
- Uncover and sprinkle the cheese on top. You can use any kind of cheese you like, I had mozzarella on hand.
- Cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Stir the rice before serving.
I know it doesn’t make for a very pretty dish but it sure does taste good. This is pure comfort food and very hearty. It’s great for a cold night. Kids and adults will both love it!
For more great recipe ideas you may want to check out:
Recipe Adapted from: Buns In My Oven