I have been looking for a good zucchini bread recipe that I can make to use up all of the zucchini from my garden. I found a great base recipe that I tweaked a little to fit my tastes. I was looking for something that would help mask the taste of the zucchini since I’m not a big fan. I’m trying to eat more vegetables but I’m a really picky eater, I wish I wasn’t!
I have never had zucchini bread before I made this and it is now one of my favorite desserts. It should be called zucchini cake instead of zucchini bread because it is so moist and sweet! Even my two year old kept asking for more bread, she loved it too!
This recipe only makes one loaf but you can easily double it, just use 3 eggs for the doubled recipe. You can easily freeze the extra loaf and it stays good in the refrigerator for a week or two. We went through half a loaf in one day so I will probably make two loaves next time!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1/2 Tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (you can use applesauce for a healthier option)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
for the topping:
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1/4 all purpose flour
- 1/4 butter, melted
- Grease and flour a loaf pan. I used cooking spray to make it easier. Preheat oven to 325° F.
2.Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, half at a time, and beat well.
4. Fold in zucchini until it is well blended. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. For the topping, combine the brown sugar, flour, and melted butter into a small bowl. Once the zucchini bread has baked for 15 minutes, take it out of the oven and spread the topping on as evenly as possible. Bake for an additional 25-35 minutes, until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.
Recipe Adapted from: AllRecipes.com
This zucchini bread recipe is so good and is perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning. You can even add walnuts to the bread or topping. I know that some people add oats to the topping as well. You can really make it your own, just get creative.