I don’t know which one makes more mess, my dogs or my kid. I’ve found some products that every dog owner needs to make their life easier. Some of these are really affordable and will make a big difference in your day. We love our dogs and they bring so much joy to our lives but why not make things easier for ourselves?
I’ve included affiliate links to make your shopping easier.
1. Dog Crate: These can be great for house training. I know that some people think it is mean to put your dog in a crate but a dog needs to have it’s own little den. I have one for my small dog and leave the door open throughout the day. He will go in there on his own when he wants to sleep or just wants my 2 year old to leave him alone. If your dog is prone to potty accidents or likes to chew on things, it is best to keep them in their crate while you are away from home, this is for their own safety. You can feed your dog in the crate so they will become more comfortable in the space.
2. Nail Grinders: I have a hard time getting my dogs to sit still so that I can trim their nails. I am terrified that I am going to cut the quick and hurt them when they move around so much. If your dog hates getting their nails trimmed, you may want to try using a nail grinder instead of the clippers. I know a lot of people that have easily trained their dogs to be comfortable using the grinder and it makes the monthly nail trim so much easier.
3. Diaper Bags: You know that you should clean up after your dog but those waste bags can get really expensive. Use a diaper pail refill bag instead. They work just as well to keep the odor out and they are a lot cheaper!
4. Baby Powder: If your dog is prone to mats, sprinkle some baby powder on the mat and rub it in. This will help you be able to brush through the mat a lot easier without having to cut the hair out.
5. Car Seat Cover: It is really hard to clean out dog hair from your car seats. Prevent it by using a seat cover specifically for dogs. There are several tutorials online that will show you how to make your own if you don’t want to buy one. Your passengers don’t want to sit in your back seat only to be covered in dog hair. This is easy to remove and wash.
6. Door Guard: When my dog rides in the backseat, she always leaves scratches on my car door interior. She wants to be up near the window looking out; even sticking her head out. If your dog is like mine, get a car door guard to keep your interior scratch and dirt free.
7. Portable Spot Cleaner: My dogs both got sick recently from some new dog food. Needless to say, there where stains left on my carpet from this incident. I contacted Bissell to see if I could try out their SpotClean ProHeat Portable Spot Cleaner and they agreed to send me one. This has made my life so much easier!
I used to have to lug out my huge carpet cleaner anytime there was a big accident. Now I just pull out this bad boy and it is so much easier to get my carpet looking new again. It comes with 2 attachments; one for the floor and one just for the stairs. I used the cleaning solution that came with the cleaner and my stains and the smell were gone in no time.
I took some before and after pictures to show where my dog decided to pee and how it looks now after the SpotClean. It was so easy to clean up and saved me a ton of time. This machine is worth every penny in my house! I know that I will be getting a lot of use out of it between two dogs and a toddler.
8. Parsley: Instead of getting your dog those expensive dental treats to combat their bad breath, sprinkle some parsley on their food. This will get their breath smelling clean in no time.
9. Baby Wipes: Keep some baby wipes on hand, especially next to your door. When your dogs come in from outside with muddy and dirty paws, this will make for a quick clean up.
10. Squegee: If your dog sheds as much as mine does, sometimes a vacuum doesn’t get it all up. I like using a squegee to get my carpets hair-free. Just run it through your carpet and it will pick up so much dog hair that a vacuum may leave behind.
11. Old Pillowcase: If you hate having to take out stuffing inside of your dog’s bed just to wash it, you are not alone. It can be very frustrating! Keep an old pillowcase around your dog’s bed so that when it gets dirty, you just slip off the pillowcase and wash that instead of having to deal with the actual bed.
12. Carabiner: If you go out with your dogs a lot, a carabiner will be your best friend. You can use this to secure your dog’s leash to a table or chair while you have lunch and not worry about them slipping away.These are sturdy enough to hold rock climbers so it will hold Fido. If you walk several dogs at once, you can just loop all the leashes to this so that they have more lead between them.
These are just some little hacks that I think every dog owner needs to make their life easier and have more fun with their fur babies. I know they have made a world of a difference in mine. Not to mention some of these have saved me a bunch of money in the long run!
You May Also Like: