One of the things I love about the holidays is all of the yummy treats we get to bake. One of the recipes that I love to make are these Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes.
I have so many fond memories of being in the kitchen baking cookies for Santa with my Mom. I hope to pass along some great traditions and memories to my own daughter of the two of us in the kitchen.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Post contains affiliate links.
- Red Velvet Cookie Bars
- Peppermint Cheesecake Recipe
- Non Toy Gift Ideas for Kids that Have Everything
These Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are actually pretty easy to make. You can make the cake mix and frosting from scratch but I like to take a shortcut and use pre-made ones. Here is what you will need:
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- box of chocolate or devil’s food cake mix
- 1 can of vanilla frosting ( I used Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Holiday Vanilla Flavored Frosting)
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 tsp. unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- candy or marshmallows for decorating ( I used M&M’s® White Peppermint and M&M’s® Hot Chocolate candies)
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups.
- In large bowl, add all of the ingredients you need to make your cake mix (according to the back of the box) then beat with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add the baking cocoa and mix for another 30 seconds. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake according to the box instructions or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
5. In small bowl, mix frosting, peppermint extract, and marshmallow creme. Spoon into small resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag. Cut 3/8-inch tip off 1 corner of bag. (Or spoon mixture onto cupcakes instead of piping.)
6. Decorate with candies, sprinkles, or marshmallows.
I did try to pipe the frosting on my cupcakes but my bag had a malfunction..HaHa! So, I had to spread it on with a spatula. I still think they turned out yummy.
I liked using the M&M’s® White Peppermint and M&M’s® Hot Chocolate candies to really bring out the flavors in the cupcakes and they just look so festive!
I found some holiday baking essentials at my local Walmart to get ready for the season. I purchased some Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Holiday Cake Mix and Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Holiday Vanilla Flavored Frosting that I found in front of the baking aisle.
I also bought some yummy M&M’s® White Peppermint and M&M’s® Hot Chocolate that I used in this recipe. I also got some of the M&M’s® Holiday Milk Chocolate to use later. I was able to find all of these varieties in the Christmas Candy aisle at Walmart.
I hope that your family enjoys these yummy peppermint hot chocolate cupcakes just as much as mine does. These would also make yummy gifts for neighbors and coworkers.
What are some of your favorite treats to bake during the holidays?
Samantha K says
Adding a little peppermint extract to the frosting is a great idea! They sound delicious! (client)