I have another quick and yummy recipe for you. Oven Baked Chimichangas are so easy to make. I love Mexican food so I had to try this recipe. I love that it is baked and not fried, to help save on the calories. They were full of flavor and very crispy. My whole family loved them. This is a recipe I will make at least once a month. It is affordable and perfect for a busy weeknight.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa ( I used mild since I don’t like it too spicy)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Mix chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions.
- Add about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla. Here is how to roll up a chimichanga:
Roll up the two opposite sides.
Then roll up the bottom so that it holds everything tightly together.
Take the bottom and roll it all the way up. You may have to pinch in the sides together with your fingers.
- Take all of your rolled up chimichangas and place them seam side down on a baking dish. I did spray mine with PAM so that they wouldn’t stick to the pan.
- Brush the chimichangas with the melted butter. Make sure to cover as much as you can, get in between the folds.
- Bake for 25 min. or until crispy.
- Top with your favorite toppings: sour cream, cheese, guacamole, salsa, tomatoes, etc.
This recipe is quick and easy and hits the spot. We had them by themselves but I think they would go great with the Restaurant-style Spanish Rice recipe. I really liked these oven baked chimichangas and I hope that you do, too. Try them out and let me know what you think.
Recipe courtesy of The Girl Who Ate Everything