I love Mexican food! It is probably my favorite cuisine. I love the rice that you get at Mexican restaurants and I have been looking for a Restaurant-Style Spanish Rice to make at home. I have tried the boxed kind and it never tastes like the kind you get in the restaurants. I came across this great recipe from RealLifeDinner.com and it looked really good.
This recipe makes a lot of rice so if you have a small family, you might want to just half it. Or you could make all of it and save some to eat with other meals. This was really good and has been the closest thing I have found that tastes just like the rice at Mexican restaurants. I will be making this whenever we have some Mexican cuisine at my house. We all really liked it.
- 2½ cups uncooked rice
- 4¾ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- ⅓ cup canola oil or butter
- ⅛ tsp chili powder (optional) I left this out so it wouldn’t be spicy
- ⅛ tsp Cumin (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a 9×13 pan combine all ingredients and stir so that everything is evenly distributed
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil
- Place carefully in oven and bake for 1 hour
- Remove from oven and leave covered until ready to serve
- Onions and garlic may settle on the top, Fluff with a fork to mix them evenly into rice
As you can see, it is very simple to make and you can even make it ahead of time so you will have one less thing to make for dinner. This would be really good to put in burritos. I think I might try that next time. Let me know what you think about this recipe for Restaurant-Style Spanish Rice.