May contain affiliate links
I love going to the movies! It is one of my favorite things to do but it can also be a pain on my wallet. Most tickets are around $12 now. Depending on where you live they could be even more. It can cost $50 for two people to go to the movies. But luckily, for those of us who love to save money there are some great tips to help you save money at the movies while still enjoying your experience. Below I’ve listed some tips that I personally use and hope they will come in handy for you.
- Eat Before You Go: I am one of those people who always has to have popcorn at the movies. But if you can survive without it, be sure to eat dinner or lunch before you go. You won’t be as tempted to get anything at the concession stand if you are full.
- Bring Your Own Candy: A box of movie theater candy is around $4 at my local theaters….$4! Target, Walmart, and the drug stores sell the exact same theater boxed candy for around $1 a box. So stop by the store on your way to the movies and be sure to bring a big purse :).
- Go To The Matinee: If your schedule permits it, go see a matinee. Tickets can be as much as 50% less then going to see the same movie at night. Plus, theaters are less crowded and noisy so you might be able to get an even better experience.
- Buy in Bulk: Did you know that you can buy tickets in bulk? Costco sells ticket packages for 4-10 per pack and it usually comes out to $6-$7 per ticket. You can also buy in bulk from your local theater. Just go to their website and see what they have to offer. Sometimes when they say “bulk” they mean 50 so be sure to read the package info. If they do offer such a high amount, see if your friends or family might want to split them with you.
- Join Rewards Programs: Many theaters offer rewards programs. I’m apart of the Regal Crown Club and AMC Stubs programs. With AMC it is $12 a year but well worth it. We get points towards free movie tickets and always get free upgrades to our popcorn and soda. Regal Crown Club is free to join and you can earn free concessions and movie tickets. Check your theater’s website for details.
- Join Survey Sites: I’ve talked about this before but you can join survey sites to get free gift cards and other rewards. One of the main things I cash out for is movie tickets. It will usually take me about 1-2 months to get enough points for a pair of movie tickets but it is free and easy to earn. You can check out some of my favorite Survey Sites: Harris Poll, Global Test Market, Valued Opinions, Opinion Outpost, and Inbox Dollars.
- Check Discount Gift Card Sites: You can buy discounted gift cards at sites like Gift Card Rescue and Gift Card Granny. Gift Card Rescue currently has AMC gift cards for 15% off. Gift Card Granny currently has Fandango gift cards for 38% off. This is a great and easy way to save. They also make great gift ideas.
- Check Daily Deal Sites: Sites like Groupon, Amazon Local, and Living Social will have deals on movie tickets periodically. Before you head to the theaters be sure to check them out for any deals. I’ve been able to buy 2 tickets for $14 when normally it would be $20.
- Check Facebook: Be sure to check your theater’s Facebook page for any special offers or coupons. I know that Regal will offer a weekly coupon for concessions. I’ve gotten $2 popcorn and $2 soda coupons before.
- Be Sure You REALLY Want To See It: We only go to movies that are must sees and we can’t wait until they come out on DVD. This makes going to the theater much more like a treat and not an everyday thing. If you are not dying to see it then just wait to rent it or buy the DVD. You can probably just buy the DVD for the price of 2 movie tickets.
- Check Your Credit Card Rewards: Some credit cards offer special movie offers or rewards. I know that sometimes Visa Signature will offer buy one get one deals on movie tickets. Be sure to check your credit card company’s website for what they might offer.
- Summer Movie Programs: During the summer some theaters will offer free showings of select kid’s movies during the day. This is a great way to get the kids out of the house and stay preoccupied for free. Check your theater’s website for details next summer to see if they might offer this.
Well, those are my favorite tips on how to save money at the movies. I hope these tips are helpful. What are some of the things you do to save money at the movies? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Leave a Reply